News › ZEISS · FDA approval for the CT LUCIA 621P monofocal IOL
With the monofocal IOL, surgeons can treat many cataract patients and achieve optimized visual outcomes.
ZEISS Medical Technology today announced the approval of the CT LUCIA® 621P by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States. The ZEISS CT LUCIA 621P is an aspheric intraocular lens (IOL) with a monofocal, hydrophobic C‑loop design and the patented ZEISS Optics (ZO) asphericity concept that reduces potential decentration problems and confidently provides good visual outcomes.
»This will become my standard monofocal lens. Not only can we use it routinely in our practice, but also for more complicated cases,« says Sri Ganesh, MD, chairman and chief executive officer of Nethradhama Super Speciality Eye Hospital, Bangalore, India. »Because it is a preloaded and easy-to-use lens, its use is predictable. In addition, refractive stability is reliable 15 days after surgery as well as up to three months and even up to a year after surgery.«
The ZEISS CT LUCIA 621P monofocal IOL is an important component of the ZEISS Cataract Workflow, which enables surgeons to achieve optimized visual outcomes in cataract patients. In addition to the patented ZEISS Optics (ZO) asphericity concept, the IOL also features a fully preloaded injector optimized to enable intuitive, smooth and efficient lens implantation. In addition, the IOL architecture is designed to allow for easy centration while maximizing direct capsular contact. This optimizes stability and supports a consistent position in the capsular bag.
»Even in a standard case where everything is going well, short- and/or long-term decentration can occur because each eye has its own anatomy. The great thing about ZEISS optics is that they combine the beneficial properties of aspheric and spherical lenses. This makes the lens design less susceptible to optical decentration, even when it is as much as one millimeter, the optical quality is maintained. The ZEISS brand is synonymous with high-quality optics, and that is the case here,« said William Wiley, MD, medical director, Cleveland Eye Clinic (USA).
»The ZEISS CT LUCIA 621P monofocal IOL is a great example of how our latest ophthalmic innovations in the U.S. are driving efficiency and promoting better patient outcomes,« said Euan S. Thomson, M.D., head of the Ophthalmology Strategic Business Unit and head of the Digital Business Unit at ZEISS Medical Technology. »We believe this monofocal lens, as part of our ZEISS Medical Ecosystem and within ZEISS Cataract Workflows, will improve management in surgery and set new standards for cataract patient care.«
The ZEISS CT LUCIA 621P monofocal IOL will be presented at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) Conference in San Diego, California, May 5–8, 2023. For more information, visit: https://www.zeiss.com/meditec.
Director Investor Relations
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG
Phone: +49 3641 220–116
Carl Zeiss Meditec AG (ISIN: DE0005313704), listed on the MDAX and TecDAX of the German stock exchange, is one of the world’s leading medical technology providers. The company delivers innovative technologies and application-oriented solutions that enable physicians to improve their patients‹ quality of life. For the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases, the company offers complete solutions, including implants and consumables. In microsurgery, the company provides innovative visualization solutions. With 4,224 employees worldwide, the group generated sales of 1,902.8 million euros in fiscal year 2021/22 (September 30).
The company is headquartered in Jena, Germany. In addition to other branches in Germany, the company has more than 50 percent of its employees at locations in the USA, Japan, as well as Spain and France. The Center for Application and Research India (CARIn) in Bangalore, India, and the Carl Zeiss Innovations Center for Research and Development in Shanghai, China, strengthen the presence in these fast-growing countries. Approximately 41 percent of Carl Zeiss Meditec shares are in free float. The remaining approximately 59 percent are held by Carl Zeiss AG, a leading global group of companies in the optical and optoelectronic industry.
Further information at: www.zeiss.de/med